[arin-discuss] ARIN Fee discussion

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Tue Oct 9 17:19:08 EDT 2007

Owen said:

> Lee, what would the fee per year look like if ARIN charged
> a single flat fee to all subscriber members (LIR/ISP members)?

I must not understand your question, because I'm sure you can
divide a $10,400,000 budget by 3000 members ($3,466, in case
anyone chooses not to).

Last time I looked at numbers that way, IPv4 allocation
renewals were about 70% of revenue.  If that's what you mean,
you could try $7,000,000 / 3000 = $2,333.

These are order of magnitude numbers, not even estimates.

> Also, Lee, is it possible to get some idea of what percentage
> of ARIN's annual costs are fixed and what percentage are
> incremental per	allocation.

Difficult to judge.  Look at the budget
http://www.arin.net/about_us/corp_docs/budget.html
and try to figure out which are incremental per allocation.

> Finally, would it be possible to get the average number
> of allocations and the average number of email/telephone interactions
> per year for each size category (I suspect the latter is more Leslie's
> domain).

Email, phone calls, templates on slide 6 (and see also
slide 8):
http://www.arin.net/meetings/minutes/ARIN_XIX/PDF/wednesday/RSD_Nobile.p
df

You're right that these numbers, if available, would come
from Registration Services, so let's see if they have this
kind of data.

Lee