[arin-discuss] SPAM-WARN:Re: ARIN Fee discussion

Jeremy Anthony Kinsey jer at mia.net
Tue Oct 9 17:13:04 EDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 4:06 PM, Michael Thomas - Mathbox wrote:

> Owen,
>
> Well, lets also examine that based on fixed fee per resource consumed.
>
> A /13 contains 2048 /24s. Xtra Large fee is $18,000. So, $18000 /
> 2048 is
> $8.79 per /24. That is fair.

And someone with a /20 pays $140 or so per /24...

Typically in economies of sale, the larger volume you buy, the lower
the price over all, again, in volume.. Assuming that someone buying
a /13 is getting a huge volume of IP space vs. say a /20, it is
logical to assume a "volume discount"...

However, it has been mentioned several times here that we are NOT
buying IP space, but rather maintenance of that space.  All things
being equal, I would like to assume that it costs more to maintain a /
13 allocation than a /20. That said,  the pricing matrix is greatly
flawed.

Regards,
Jeremy Anthony Kinsey
  e-mail: jer at mia.net