[arin-discuss] SPAM-WARN:Re: ARIN Fee discussion

Michael Thomas - Mathbox mike at mathbox.com
Tue Oct 9 17:06:23 EDT 2007

Owen,

Well, lets also examine that based on fixed fee per resource consumed.

A /13 contains 2048 /24s. Xtra Large fee is $18,000. So, $18000 / 2048 is
$8.79 per /24. That is fair.

>From ARIN reports, I totalled the /24s allocated to ISP from 1999 through
2006 plus 01/07 through 09/07. The total came to 1,148,855 /24s. That
doesn't tell me how many were returned. I couldn't find those stats. But
lets use that as an example. 1,148,855 /24s * $8.79 per /24 is $10,098,435.
Gosh, that is fairly close to the ARIN budget. And of course, then no one
would be able to say, "But they get them for free. How can I compete against
that?"

Michael Thomas
Mathbox
978-683-6718