[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Jeremy Anthony Kinsey jer at mia.net
Tue Oct 9 14:42:39 EDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 1:06 PM, Keith W. Hare wrote:

> [...]

Agreed.. I understand where you are coming from.. I'm not asking
anyone to be punished for policy that was in place previously.. All I
am suggesting is that legacy holders now be required to pay.. You may
find many of them returning space that they do not use as a result.

> ARIN has never asked for anything, so I've never paid anything.
> Therefore, I've paid everything that ARIN has ever asked.

Again, understood..

> The fee schedule is almost clear.  However, there are no directions
> telling me how to go about asking ARIN to send me a bill for the
> legacy
> address range I have.

I doubt anyone would want to proactively ask for a bill that no one
is even sure is valid... It's kinda hard to pay for something without
an invoice, as you have indicated.  Until ARIN actually requests
payment, like you said, you have no reason to pay.

> Actually, almost everytime this topic has come up in the last 5-6
> months, it has devolved into how to deny services to legacy holders
> because they haven't signed an RSA or paid anything.

Argh.. I don't feel this is the solution... The solution is to
establish a policy where by a fee schedule is applied to current
legacy holders starting at X.. Not suggesting denying services,
shutting them down, or doing this proactively, just beginning at some
point, say Jan 1.

> My point is that there is not yet a process in place (or if there
> is, it
> is not documented on the web page) for a legacy address holder to sign
> an RSA and pay fees for existing address space.

Perhaps that is something that the board needs to establish/focus on
moving forward.

Regards,
Jeremy Anthony Kinsey
  e-mail: jer at mia.net