[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Tue Oct 9 14:06:54 EDT 2007

Actually, most of the conversations boil down to "lets hang the legacy
address holders high because they have not paid their fair share."  My
point is that ARIN has never asked legacy address holders to pay.

> > So, as far as I can tell, I've paid everything that ARIN has ever
> > asked.
>
> You just said you have not.

ARIN has never asked for anything, so I've never paid anything.
Therefore, I've paid everything that ARIN has ever asked.

> > Take a look at the ARIN web page.  What there gives information to
> > legacy address holders on what and why they should pay ARIN?
>
> The fee schedule looks pretty clear to me..

The fee schedule is almost clear.  However, there are no directions
telling me how to go about asking ARIN to send me a bill for the legacy
address range I have.

> > So, before spending a lot of time discussing whether or not ARIN
> > has the
> > legal or moral right to stop providing services to legacy address
> > holders who haven't done something, ARIN needs to define
> what it wants
> > from legacy address holders and put in place the process and
> > documentation to allow legacy address holders to respond.
> >

> I do not think anyone here is suggesting that ARIN should stop
> providing services for legacy holders.  What we are suggesting is
> that you pay for these services.

Actually, almost everytime this topic has come up in the last 5-6
months, it has devolved into how to deny services to legacy holders
because they haven't signed an RSA or paid anything.

My point is that there is not yet a process in place (or if there is, it
is not documented on the web page) for a legacy address holder to sign
an RSA and pay fees for existing address space.

Keith

Keith W. Hare                     JCC Consulting, Inc.
keith at jcc.com                     600 Newark Road
Phone: 740-587-0157               P.O. Box 381
Fax: 740-587-0163                 Granville, Ohio 43023
http://www.jcc.com                USA