[arin-discuss] SPAM-WARN:Re: ARIN Fee discussion

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Oct 9 13:52:48 EDT 2007

      On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Michael Thomas - Mathbox wrote:

    >             # Members   % Members   % v4 space   % fees
    > Xtra Small      390        14.8         0.29       5.7
    > Small         1,571        59.8         4.64      42.6
    > Medium          518        19.9         8.92      28.0
    > Large            71         2.7         6.87       7.7
    > Xtra Large       73         2.8        79.28      15.8
    >
    > Note that 73 Xtra Large members control over 79 percent of ARIN allocated IP
    > space and they pay 15.8 percent of the allocation fees.

That does indeed seem to me to be a notable fact.

    > I am surprised
    > that 2300 victims do not have anything to say on the issue.

I'm not sure that I would concur with your characterization of them as
"victims," since it's precisely their failure to participate in the
process which has resulted in this situation.

I can only remind you all that ARIN is a bottom-up organization, not a top
down one.  There is no class of members who are victims, only classes of
members who fail to participate.

On the Internet, the rules are made by by the people who show up.

                                -Bill