[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Jeremy Anthony Kinsey jer at mia.net
Tue Oct 9 12:07:06 EDT 2007

On Oct 8, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Keith W. Hare wrote:

>> So who has the "obligation" to pay for this?
>>

> Who has an "obligation" to pay for what?

Legacy IP space holders maintenance fees.

> As a legacy address holder (our /24 was allocated in 1991), I've
> mostly
> ignored ARIN, except for a couple of POC updates.

That's comforting to know.

> Until last spring when I received an invitation to join the Public
> Policy Mailing List, I had received no communication from ARIN outside
> of the POC updates. So, ARIN has mostly ignored me.

It works both ways.. You said you've mostly ignored ARIN...

> Much of the discussion of the "Counsel statement on Legacy
> assignments"
> assumes that legacy address holders have not been paying their fair
> share of something.  However, I have never received any communication
> from ARIN inviting me to pay for something relative my legacy address.

And that is what we are all discussing..    Many of us feel everyone
should have to pay.  Legacy or not...

> So, as far as I can tell, I've paid everything that ARIN has ever
> asked.

You just said you have not.

> Take a look at the ARIN web page.  What there gives information to
> legacy address holders on what and why they should pay ARIN?

The fee schedule looks pretty clear to me..

> So, before spending a lot of time discussing whether or not ARIN
> has the
> legal or moral right to stop providing services to legacy address
> holders who haven't done something, ARIN needs to define what it wants
> from legacy address holders and put in place the process and
> documentation to allow legacy address holders to respond.

I do not think anyone here is suggesting that ARIN should stop
providing services for legacy holders.  What we are suggesting is
that you pay for these services.  I really do not think a definition
is required.. All that should be required is that EVERY SINGLE ARIN
member that receives IP space, should pay exactly the same amount as
per the fee schedule, NO EXCEPTIONS..

At least that is my take on the general consensus.

Regards,
Jeremy Anthony Kinsey
  e-mail: jer at mia.net
Bella Mia, Inc.                                      www.mia.net