[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Michael - FullControl Network michael at fullcontrol.net
Mon Oct 8 12:15:45 EDT 2007

unsubscribe

From: arin-discuss-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-discuss-bounces at arin.net]
On Behalf Of Edward Lewis
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 10:32 AM
To: arin-discuss at arin.net
Cc: ed.lewis at neustar.biz
Subject: Re: [arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

At 11:15 -0400 10/8/07, Dean Anderson wrote:

>Except Legacy's aren't lacking an agreement.  You have paper records of
>these agreements with the government. Do you mean to deny the fact that
>the Legacy's have an agreement with the government that ARIN is

>obligated to honor?

Quoting: http://www.arin.net/meetings/minutes/ARIN_XIX/ppm1_transcript.html

"MR. RYAN: Well, from a legal perspective, this is why I love you guys. I
have never seen the United States government give away anything without any
strings attached before. And so there's a real question in my mind whether
-- with regard to some of the legacy address holders who received early
addresses who were in the Defense or academic community but held Defense
contracts, whether the issuance of space at that time was pursuant to
traditional government theories of government-furnished material or
government-furnished equipment. The paper record is really pretty strange
when one looks at it. And it does appear -- to the extent that I've had an
opportunity to look at some of the paperwork -- that it's one of the few
times in the history of governments that they gave away something seemingly
without a clear set of strings attached to it. ..."

NeuStar

Think glocally.  Act confused.