[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.net
Sun Oct 7 20:43:37 EDT 2007

Perhaps I can rephrase the question into two clear parts:

1. "Has ARIN Counsel made a definitive statement on the subject of
ARIN's obligations to Legacy assignments?"

2. "If yes, is Stephen Sprunk's report of such statement to IETF
accurate?"

Another issue inline:

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, John Curran wrote:

> >So, what's the story about that statement?
>
> I don't think there's a "story", but let me rephrase and see if
> it helps: the right of legacy space holders to receive free ARIN
> services is not, per se, a legal issue, as ARIN has no obligation
> arisen from its incorporation or organization that compels it
> to provide free services to the legacy community.

This addresses somewhat the underlying issue about ARIN's obligations to
legacy assignments. Your response is somewhat disturbing.

So, as I read your response, it seems you are asserting that ARIN
doesn't need to respect its obligations to prior IANA assignments. Is
that right? I think there is a strong argument, both morally and
legally, that those prior assignments represent obligations on ARIN,
from ARIN's inception, and that ARIN is compelled to continue to honor
the terms of those assignments.  I'd say that's a legal issue, even if
there isn't an active lawsuit on the subject.

617 344 9000