[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Oct 5 19:33:15 EDT 2007

At 6:08 PM -0400 10/5/07, Dean Anderson wrote:
> > If the members direct ARIN to change the services or fees to
>> "legacy" address holders in the region, ARIN will endeavor to do.
>> As Randy points out, this could run against the expectations of
>> the Internet community at large from the time of ARIN's start,
>> so obviously any changes would need to be well thought out,
>> and need to have enjoyed ample public discussion.
>
>So, what's the story about that statement?

I don't think there's a "story", but let me rephrase and see if
it helps: the right of legacy space holders to receive free ARIN
services is not, per se, a legal issue, as ARIN has no obligation
arisen from its incorporation or organization that compels it
to provide free services to the legacy community.

Whether there's a legal obligation or not, there can easily be a
social obligation if the community feels that such is warranted.
Some people feel that such an obligation exists today, at least
as far as ARIN provide services to the legacy space holders (but
perhaps not reciprocated as far as the legacy holders abiding by
policy in the region).

The Internet community is a large place, and extends beyond
the ARIN members, and the members of all the RIR's per se...
If the ARIN community should recommend policy which affects
legacy holders, ARIN will do its best to implement such policy,
but it's crucial to recognize that these legacy holders are not
generally aware of the discussion going on at ARIN, and hence
the widest possible public discussion is highly recommended.

Did that address your question, or did I miss it altogether?

/John