Being blacklisted by Spews

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Thu Sep 5 10:24:46 EDT 2002

> >spews is small time.  you can save time by just telling them to list all
> >your customers.  they'll list your whole /13 if you ask them.
>
> SPEWS is a problem.  They have blacklisted address blocks for a larger
> aggregate than what the offending customer has.  This impacts other
> customers on that aggregate.  Their response to fixing these types of
> problems has been poor.  When the offending customer does leave, you can't
> reallocate their block because it is still blacklisted by SPEWS.  Unless
> you have address space to spare, having them blacklist one of your blocks
> can create problems for the ISP and customers within those blocks.

i'm sorry, i underspoke.  you can save time by giving spews a list of all
of your address space and telling them you want it all listed.  they are
fools, and their subscribers are worse, and the sooner they list 0.0.0.0/0
the better off we will all be.  there is no reasoning with them, as you've
discovered.  that means the end state is clear, it's just the schedule we
don't yet know.  might as well hasten the end.

i certainly don't think any of us should dignify their work by trying to
get anything removed from the list.  they are small time.  forget them, or
ridicule them, but in no sense or case take them at all seriously.