consistancy

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Sat Sep 16 15:29:04 EDT 2000

> Bill et al.
>
> Why not just up the anti a notch and require that all legacy address
> space have working in-addr records by January 1, 2001 or that space shall
> be deemed inactive and returned to the public pool.

	Its not quite that easy. Stanford refused transfers as
	does MIT (to pick on Universities), making it hard to verify.

> IANA can delegate enforcement to the registries using the address as registered.
> i.e. If the address is in the ARIN region, ARIN enforces the deallocation.

	IANA might do many things. They have had a tough time
	ramping up and may not be ready to take this on quite
	yet. Something to do w/ recent activities on the Open
	Membership front and a change in board membership
	seems to be taking some time.

	Still, given the current nature of ICANN, I expect that
	the only inputs they will take are from the RIRs themselves.

	Since these are legecy delegations, I suspect that forcing
	folks to a predetermined registry might open the discussion
	space, esp. since all registries are now charging fees.
	I expect that the legecy delegates are going to be screwed
	since they were never part of the RIR process and ICANN
	via the ASO agreements excludes these folks.

> Due to the history of the Internet this is primarily a North American issue.

	Not really.  There is significant European presence.

> Small organizations requiring multi-homing could then hopefully get space from
> the legacy "swamp" allocations retrieved from this effort.

	Two key words here. "Hopefully" and a buck will get
	you coffee at Starbucks.
	"Swamp" - based on previous reclaimation data and the
	dns delegation data <www.isi.edu/~bmanning/in-addr-audit.html>
	the "swamp" is in the 207 and 209 prefix range.  Most small
	route injections are coming from those ranges.

> I suspect large portions of the early allocations belong to defunct organizations
> or have been forgotten by the rightful owners.

	Not really. The hardest part has been the egregious update
	policies in getting whois data updates.

--bill