consistancy

Mike Horwath drechsau at geeks.org
Thu Sep 14 10:01:53 EDT 2000

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 07:21:34AM +0000, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> > The points are:
> >
> > 	there are a ton of IPs available on the 'net that are
> > 	allocated and underused - relaim those and these worries about
> > 	IP depletion can be put off for another couple of years.
> >
> > 	random people with random comments about how my business is
> > 	supposed to be run is just not nice.
>
> 	These two statements are inconsistant. "reclaiming" space
> 	may affect the business of the parties that have been delegated
> 	space.  To quote Mike Horwath; "...is just not nice..."

The issue we are discussing, the forced policy on named virtual
hosting, has a basis of 'we are running out of IPs, here is another
way to conserve'.

I say cool, let's conserve *where we can*.  In return I want ARIN to
go to the people who were given allocations before the big IP scare of
the mid nineties that should have never ever been given out and relaim
said space to ease this issue of 'we are running out of IPs'.

I have brought up one example of wasted IP space with detail.  There
is enough excess space within that one schools allocations to handle
my ISP needs for 12-18 months (perhaps even longer!) *without* doing
any IP reclamation myself via named based virtual hosting.

Reclaim, Reuse, Recycle.

Reclaim blocks whose allocations are woefully wrong.

Reuse IPs as best as possible, like in the case of dynamic IPs for
modems, DSL services, etc.

Recycle - SWIP your damn blocks, be stingy with said blocks, execute
fast turnaround on blocks as customers change.  Also, give back what
is now waste.

--
Mike Horwath           IRC: Drechsau         drechsau at Geeks.ORG
Home: 763-540-6815  1901 Sumter Ave N, Golden Valley, MN  55427