route filtering policies (from "split b" thread)

Hostmaster, Verant hostmaster at verant.com
Mon Jun 5 17:30:57 EDT 2000

Our situation is that we are multihomed to a few providors at each location,
but not necessarily with a backbone-grade link between each physical
location.  We do not resell connectivity, but use it all for our own
Internet application serving.

So it's not really that irresponsible, in that we cannot just take blocks
from our providers.  I know of providers that accept as small as /24s, and I
know of networks that announce /23s and /24s and have no aggregate to fall
back on.  In fact in the case I described, we were able to affect a change,
which was prohibiting many cablemodem customers from accessing not only us,
but the network of a large ISP.

But perhaps you can shed some light on the question asked by another on this
thread - why exactly would you filter on anything shorter than a /24?  RAM
on your routers? CPU?  On my network, I want to pick up as specific routes
(well, up to /24) as the other network wants to announce to me - chances are
I'll get a better connection using a more specific prefix.

Follow up question - where do you come up with /20 as the magic length for
class A's and B's, but /24 for class C's?

Additionally, ARIN is now handing out 64.0.0.0/8 in smaller blocks.  Perhaps
someone on this list can speak to the smallest block being handed out in
64.0.0.0/8.

----
Dani Roisman
Verant Interactive