[ARIN-consult] [ARIN-Consult] Consultation on Expanding 2FA Options for ARIN Online

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Tue Jan 24 15:36:03 EST 2023

Since I have a nearly magical ability to damage every authentication device I've ever been issued (including my phone - this one has lasted over a year, which I think is av record), I'm highly doubtful of any scheme that *assumes* any authenticator is durable.  I would like a *minimum* of 3 active - one in my pocket, one in a locked drawer at work, one in a secure spot at home or in my car or somewhere else.

Double + 1 that number to account for rollover, and I'll already want to have up to 7 registered at times, for any account that's super-critical.

Yes, that's about how many copies of physical keys for locks that I like to get made, because I lose those, too.

Could I live with a limit of 10? Yeah, probably.

Which is more important: keeping bad actors out, or letting authorized users in?

All I'm hearing during this discussion is protecting accounts against hypothetical compromise (with IIRC no evidence this has ever happened, or any negative outcome has occurred previously) with no consideration of people who have unusual needs.

(Some of those needs, definitely not all, are referred to in American law as "disabilities", btw.  I hope someone at ARIN has thought about how the proposed 2FA scheme complies with the ADA?)

-Adam