[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Offering ARIN Content in Multiple Languages

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Wed Feb 22 16:20:19 EST 2023

I don't necessarily want to condone the societal or legal stance I refer to here, but many ARIN clients based in and operating in Quebec (Canada) are mandated by law to conduct business in French.  Since Quebec is clearly within ARIN's scope, some accommodation for them should probably exist.  And there do legitimately exist a pretty impressive number of people in Quebec who cannot conduct business in English.

If that means an on-demand translation service, sure, I could get on board with that. Having such a service would also go a long way to accommodate other non-English speakers.  Typically the recurring invariant cost to those is reasonably low, but the usage fees (variable cost) is medium to high.  Or vice-versa, but I think I'd rather optimize for lower invariant cost.

I have a clue what full-scale multilingual operation costs, and I don't currently believe it would be viable at the current intersection of ARIN's mandate and the number of non-English-speaking clients.
That's a very different number than the number of clients with a non-English native language: I'm only looking for "reasonable accommodation" here.

-Adam