[ARIN-consult] increasing 2FA take-up

David R Huberman daveid at panix.com
Wed May 25 10:40:24 EDT 2022

Hi!

Bram wrote:

> But it also notes that TOTP 2FA has been available since 2015 with
> a 3.2 percent take-up.

... and:

> - Do we think most of the broader community is aware of the 2FA opportunity
> — and are there thoughts, UX or otherwise, on why the crushing majority of
> folks haven’t availed themselves of it?

I note that in the Engineering Report at ARIN49, found at:

https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/ARIN49/materials/425_engineeringreport.pdf

... only a minority percentage of ARIN Online users login with any
frequency. Further, as noted by others, the priority in our thinking may
need to be on ARIN Online accounts associated with number resources.
Putting the two ideas together, I think the 3.2% number is a bit
unfocused.

Perhaps it would be helpful if we knew the percentage take-up of 2FA for
ARIN Online accounts that are associated with number resources as we delve
into this discussion.

Just my opinion, and writing solely for myself,
/david