[ARIN-consult] ACSP Consultation 2021.5: Consultation on ARIN’s Membership Structure

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Fri Oct 29 10:33:22 EDT 2021

ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
    > With the change to a single fee schedule in 2022 (fee harmonization)
    > for end user and ISP organizations, ARIN wishes to open up
    > participation in ARIN governance to end user organizations that were
    > previously unable to vote in ARIN elections. When the end user
    > organizations are transitioned to the Registration Services Plan, they
    > will be made Service Members of ARIN. This category is an addition to
    > the existing membership categories. The addition of a new membership
    > category requires a modification to the Bylaws, linked below.

This process is a surprise to me, but maybe I'm just not very well informed.
How many end-user organizations are there?

    > The distinguishing characteristic between Service and General Member
    > categories is related to the commitment to vote in ARIN’s
    > elections. Any Service Member organization may apply to become a
    > General Member by submitting a request and meeting the General Member
    > criteria.

okay.  My entity pays $250USD/year, and I gather from comments from William
that I wouldn't wind up in the General Member.  I have in the past voted.
But I think that my entity is not an end-user organization, having v4, v6 and
ASN resources, and delegating to end-users.

I try to keep abreast on what is going on.
I think that the step function between being ignorant and uninvolved, and
being informed is too high.  Most organizations do not have the cycles to be
involved in arin-consult.  Most weeks, it goes to /dev/null for me, but not
every week.