Re: [ARIN-consult]     [arin-announce] ACSP Consultation 2021.5: Consultation on ARIN’s Membership Structure

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Oct 29 00:28:12 EDT 2021

> On Oct 28, 2021, at 16:05 , John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
> Mike -
>
> We do not know how many of the 7000 end-users will opt for general membership - I suspect a few end-user participants on this list will do so, and perhaps several hundred more (e.g. 300 to 500)

Both of me will.

> Of our existing general membership, it is estimated that only about 1200 or so organizations have voted in one of the past three elections.   If that is indicative of the 2021 - 2022 - 2023 election period, then in 2024 we would see many of the existing general members recategorized as service members and end up with a general membership of 1500 or so (300 + 1200 = 1500)

Given that roughly 600 organizations participated in each of the past three elections, a total of 1200 organizations is a surprisingly low overlap amongst voting organizations across three years.

> 2% of 1500 is 30, so that could easily be the 2024 petition threshold absent the “100 minimum” language.   Realistically though, all of those who might participate in a petition then would be the same as the community today (or even larger given the end-users who consciously decide to become general members), and a petition threshold of 124 was satisfied by two candidates in the present election.

What’s wrong with a petition threshold of 30 among 1500 eligible signatories?

> Our petition threshold is set as a percentage of general members, so the moment that the general member count becomes reflective of the actively involved community rather than just the count of ISPs in ARIN, then the 2% petition threshold will drop – and this despite the fact that the active community will be the same size as today or even larger.

The problem is that it won’t drop as far as it should. Unless you’re claiming that 100% of petition signatories are from the “active community” in this election, I think Mike is right about the tone deafness of this move.

It takes a pretty impressive level of tone deafness to produce a result where Mike Burns and I agree on something.

Owen