[ARIN-consult] Reminder - Consultation on ARIN’s Membership Structure

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Nov 8 12:13:16 EST 2021

> On Nov 8, 2021, at 6:09 PM, Owen DeLong via ARIN-consult <arin-consult at arin.net> wrote:
> What is the problem with those organizations (continuing to) abstain from voting, but retaining their rights to vote?

Quorum.  We can’t hold an election where most members don’t vote, because then the election is invalid and we have to start over.

So, we have to make sure that most members vote.  Which is already difficult.  If we have more members, it becomes even more difficult to achieve quorum.

The simplest way of fixing this would be to stop being a membership organization as a legal structure, but retain voting as a governance practice.  Had ARIN’s original founders been more clueful in the ways of non-profits, that’s how it would have been set up.  Tearing it down and building a new one correctly is possible but not trivial.

                                -Bill