[ARIN-consult] FW: Consultation on Implementing Term Limits for the ARIN Board of Trustees

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Dec 1 20:17:37 EST 2021

> From: Chris Woodfield <chris at semihuman.com>
>
> I’m curious on your thoughts as to why efforts to create a more
> diverse governorship body for ARIN is a bad thing for ARIN
> and/or the community. Care to explain how this would negatively
> impact the community?

Hi Chris,

The way I see it, the board's most critical role is to keep ARIN
on-mission. To serve that mission I want to see people who are first
and foremost network engineers, experts at routing and IP address
management.

While there is a degree of diversity within that specialization, I
would not want to see those folks' vote diluted by individuals whose
core competency was, for example, finance. Nor would I want to select
less than the best possible individuals for the sake of catering to
localities, genders, etc. That could only distract from ARIN's core
mission to be one of the authoritative registries of IP addresses in
use on the Internet.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--