[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ARIN Fees

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Apr 12 16:35:43 EDT 2021

I think we're on the same page that there are four categories relevant here:

1: Legacy holders with no agreement: $0

2: Legacy holders with older LRSA: $125 + $25/year until regular fee;
takes e.g. 300 years.

3: Legacy holders with newer (L)RSA: ARIN proposed $125 + $25/year until
regular fee; takes e.g. 300 years. I proposed: $125 + something/year
until regular fee; takes e.g. 10 years.

4: Non-legacy holders with RSA: regular fee

You have noted that category 1 is significant. But if ARIN is not able
or willing to compel them to pay fees, that's mostly irrelevant for this
discussion. I realize that raising fees on category 3 disincentives
organizations in category 1 from signing, but if they haven't by now,
I'm not sure what else can be done to make them (and this isn't that
discussion anyway). If fees are the reason, you can't unring that bell;
they presumably understand the stated intention to harmonize fees
whether you actually make this move now or not, and on what schedule.

I didn't see any answer to my question about whether categories 2 + 3
are material on fees. I want to be pragmatic here; if this is costing
category 4 organizations $10/year more, it's probably not worth arguing
about. But absent an answer, I guess I'll assume it is material?

Legacy holders who moved from category 1 to 2 or 3 by signing an LRSA
might consider that to have been a bad idea and that the results are
unfair relative to their original state 1, now that they're being asked
to pay more. While I understand their position, I have little sympathy
for it, given that they are asking others to subsidize them indefinitely.

I do have sympathy for them regarding a sudden large increase. A one
year jump seems unreasonable. That's why I proposed a longer, but still
reasonable timeframe of e.g. 10 years. Whatever happens, I also
encourage ARIN to work with any that wish to voluntarily accelerate the
transition, as David Farmer brought up.

I, as someone who works at a company in category 4, consider the
continued existence of the other categories inequitable. Legacy holders,
in many cases, received large allocations (which, if not fully utilized,
now have significant resale value). We can't change that, any more than
the fact that some organizations previously received allocations from
ARIN for free and now we have to pay on the transfer market. (My
employer has both.) But that's different from an ongoing inequitable
annual cost recovery, which can be addressed.

You have been "handling it as if [the $25/year cap was] present for all
LRSA agreements to maintain equitable fees for similar customers in
comparable situations". I understand that you consider "legacy resource
holder" to be "similar customer" here. From my perspective, we are all
similar customers. (I realize that category 1 is a bit different, as
they may not get full ARIN services.)

Removing the $25/year cap from the agreements was not an accident. ARIN
did this for a reason, AFAIK specifically to allow eventually
harmonizing the fees. Now you are there, but you are proposing to not do
so even in cases (category 3) where you could.

I maintain my position that you should harmonize the fees faster, where
contractually permitted.

--
Richard