[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Consultation on ARIN Fees

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Apr 12 16:09:15 EDT 2021

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 1:18 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> As sought, here is the distribution of the fee change, as summarized by
> registration service plan fee category –
>

> (I’d also like to thank the folks inside ARIN who made this chart appear
> in record time… :-)
>
> I will note that customers with up to a /16 in IPv4 space (Medium
> Category) and /14 in IPv4 space (Large Category) [up to /24 & /20 in IPv6
> resources respectively] are the ones who bear the brunt of the fee change –
> these customers have been paying approx $500 and $1000 annually compared to
> others with similar holdings who have been paying $4000 and $8000
> respectively on an annual basis for the same registry services from ARIN.

Thanks for this information, it is very helpful.  Does this include Legacy
Holders? I assume not. Would it be possible to get at least the
distribution by Category for the Legacy Holders with LRSAs, the financials
are going to be quite different, but the distribution for Legacy Holders
would also be informative.

I would like to suggest you consider a plan for notification, especially
for end-users with the largest increases. Maybe something like the
following;

1. A note with everyone's 2021 Invoice calling attention to how the
2022 fee scheduled changes will impact them.
2. A registered letter to any Organization with an increase above a certain
threshold, maybe $2,000.
3. Further, direct staff contact with any Organization with an increase
above an even larger threshold, maybe $10,000.

I'm also concerned with the timing of the increases, especially for anyone
who has already received their 2021 Invoice already, or that will receive
their Invoice prior to finalizing the 2022 fee schedule. Most organizations
budget for cost increases, but for many involved here this is a rather
sizable increase, well beyond what most organizations would typically put
in their budget. As a general rule, I would like to see anyone with a
sizable increase receive at least 12 months notice, and 18 months would be
even better.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952