[ARIN-consult] [ARIN-Suggestions] NEW ACSP 2019.17: RSA Change

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Aug 5 16:54:53 EDT 2019

I think you are making my point for me, currently, there aren't even
theoretical consequences for ignoring the RIR system, even deliberately
using someone else's allocations on the Internet, let alone using bogons.
If you deliberately use someone else's allocations the RIR system currently
continues to protect your allocations, even though you are thwarting the
system. This is a form of "free-riding", you are enjoying the protection
provided by the RIR system that is honored by many if not most operators,
without honoring the protection it should be providing to others. I think
those that deliberately thwart the system should lose the protection of the
system.

In my opinion, this is how ARIN grows the bigger stick you seem to be
saying it needs. ARIN and the other RIRs only have the sticks that we give
them. If you think they need sticks, we need to give them the sticks. If we
don't give them any sticks, we can't complain that that don't have them and
that they don't use them.

As I said this by itself doesn't solve the problem, MANRS and other efforts
are equally if not more important for the practical solution of this
problem. But, If you think the RIRs should have any sticks at all to bring
to bear even in the most systematic and egregious instances then we have to
give them the sticks and that is done through T&Cs in the RSA contract.

If you don't think ARIN or the other RIRs should have any sticks, I can
respect that, but then don't say "ARIN needs to grow a bigger stick."

Thanks.