[ARIN-consult] ACSP Consultation: ARIN Internet Routing Registry (IRR) Roadmap

ARIN info at arin.net
Tue Jan 9 16:27:58 EST 2018

Over the last several years, ARIN has received multiple ARIN
Consultation and Suggestion Process (ACSP) requests and fielded many
customer suggestions about our existing Internet Routing Registry (IRR),
and as a result, a community consultation was issued to gauge community
interest for ARIN to take on the project of improving this service. The
consensus response was that the community would like ARIN to:

   *  Improve the validity of the IRR data
   *  Work with the other RIR's on authorization schemes
   *  Provide appropriate proxy registration services
   *  Integrate/validate with the registration database

To accomplish these goals, we anticipate that this work effort will
involve a fair bit of community involvement (RIR communities, IETF, and
operational forums such as NANOG and CaribNOG) in order to create the
appropriate incremental upgrades to the IRR.

We are opening a new Community Consultation to solicit feedback on the
ARIN IRR Roadmap, detailed below.

Please provide comments to arin-consult at arin.net.

This consultation will remain open through 5:00 PM EST on Friday, 9
February 2018.

Regards,

John Curran
President and CEO

*ARIN IRR Roadmap**
**
**Background*

function whereby route objects are validated via the authorization of
the appropriate number resource holder), ARIN conducted an IRR community
consultation in April 2015. This consultation was opened because the
issues around IRR route validation are complex, and implementation was
anticipated to exceed the cost of most ACSP implementations.
Within the consultation, the ARIN community was asked three questions:

     * Should ARIN begin a new project to enable IRR route object
validation to the ARIN registry database?
     * If yes, should this effort be coordinated with other RIRs to help
facilitate cross-registry authentication?
     * If yes, should this effort also support third party IRR route
object authentication?

There were eighteen individual participants in the consultation.
Thirteen were in favor of ARIN creating a more robust IRR, two were
publicly against, and three were unclear in their support or opposition.

Nine participants expressed support for efforts to facilitate inter-RIR
authentication, and eight participants expressed support for 3rd party
or proxy registrations for authentication of route objects.

Two participants suggested ARIN provide facilities for
authentication/authorization or delegation to IRRs not operated by an RIR.
Several participants had concerns regarding the implementation of an
ARIN-validated IRR. Three noted ARIN's past experience with the
implementation and cost of RPKI with respect to both community adoption
and opportunity-cost, and one participant expressed concerns for
contractual obligations that ARIN may place on resource holders
provisioning information in a validated IRR.

*Implementation Experience Regarding ARIN's Current IRR*

ARIN initially setup a RIPE-based IRR years ago.  Over the years, we
upgraded it based on ACSP suggestions: IPv6 support was implemented in
December 2009, and PGP support with additional notifications was
released in September 2011. In both of these releases, we replicated the
original approach of using the RIPE database software system with loose
coupling to our mainline ARIN Online registry system.  These upgrades
did allow for additional functionality, but it came at a very
substantial cost of time and unanticipated functionality issues related
to the upgrades.

When we undertook these upgrades, we chose to continue the separation in
the hopes of doing minimal environmental changes to ARIN's
infrastructure to add the suggested improvements. However, the RIPE
codebase was not modularized, with significant dependencies on RIPE
environment, and consequently was not ideal for use in ARIN's
environment. One consequence was the repeated need to pull down the
latest release from RIPE, adjust the environment for their software to
work, make changes to it to allow functionality that we support, remove
out dependencies to resource checks that would not exist in our system,
and add dependency links to our system. This has been a very
labor-intensive process and it took a lot of engineering time to make
the system work.

Adjusting to each upgrade from RIPE has also been challenging because of
innate differences our database structures. RIPE had two systems – one
being a front-end database and the other being a back-end database with
manual synchronization between these two systems. At ARIN, we have just
one system that is placed behind the firewall and replicated out to the
publically available ARIN slaves as changes are made. The RIPE IRR
codebase provided for limited information to be shared to slaves via its
replication schemes.   Given that ARIN's publically available interface
is a slave, the output available to our community was not the same as
our internal master, and has resulted in some confusion for ARIN IRR users.

ARIN Registration Services Department also has challenges providing
customer support to IRR users. Common problems include:

     * Maintainers not being notified upon changes
     * Cryptic responses to pgp-validation errors
     * General lack of customer support features

It was our hope that code re-use would save time and money.
Unfortunately, this was not the case, and the result was an awkward,
difficult-to-operate, and user-unfriendly system that requires
considerable engineering time to maintain.
It should also be noted that the IRR codebase in use by ARIN is no
longer supported or maintained by the RIPE NCC, as they have since
completely rewritten their IRR software.

*Proposed Roadmap*

Given the community feedback received in the consultation, and with due
regard to the past experience with reusing code for IRR software, ARIN
staff proposes a "ground-up" implementation of a validated IRR that will
better integrate with ARIN's current web portal, provisioning system,
and other registry functions. This path forward will be a multi-phased
approach and will rely on community–defined specifications and global
RIR community consensus.

This approach will allow ARIN to field a routing registry incrementally,
providing utility to the community much sooner than a monolithic
"big-bang" release, and it will provide the community an opportunity to
provide feedback with respect to features and cost as the project
progresses.

     * Produce a Simplified Profile of RPSL: Most of the complexity of
RPSL comes from routing registry features rarely used by the community.
To reduce the implementation costs around data modeling and parsing of
complex RPSL structures, ARIN will work with the operational community
to identify the most commonly used features of the language, and this
subset will be documented as an simplified RPSL profile to be used to
guide development efforts.
     * Schedule Frequent Deployments: ARIN will adopt "continuous
deployment" strategies to allow for more frequent deployments, similar
to the strategy used today in development of the ARIN Online registry
system. This will allow the community to use new features of the IRR as
they are developed.

     * Collaborate on Cross-RIR Authentication: ARIN will work with the
other RIRs engineering coordination activities to create an appropriate
mechanism for authentication and authorization of routing registry
objects for which the resources cross regional boundaries.

     * Provide an Easy IRR integration tool within ARIN Online: ARIN
will provide an simple tool within ARIN online for those users who wish
to explore the routing of their existing number resources and after
successful review, automatically update their corresponding IRR records
to match existing routing.

     * Migrate Data to the New IRR: Where possible, ARIN will create
tools and practices to help migrate data from the existing IRR to the
new IRR under the authority of resource holders in the ARIN registry.

     * Cooperate on Standards and Best Practices: Where applicable and
appropriate, ARIN will work with the IETF and the other RIRs on
documenting any resulting operational standards, profiles, and best
practices.

We do feel that this effort, once deployed, will help improve routing
coordination that exists on the Internet today. The proposed new ARIN
IRR will provide a clear and consistent path to allow ISPs to share
their routing policies.