[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ARIN IRR Roadmap

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Thu Feb 22 16:19:59 EST 2018

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 04:06:28PM -0500, Jason Schiller wrote:
> I am confused...
>
> the current ARIN IRR is rr.arin.net

ARIN manages an IRR database called "ARIN" in a daemon running on host
rr.arin.net. You can publish data from multiple databases via a single
fqdn like 'rr.arin.net'. I think what David Farmer is talking about is
the "source: ARIN" aspect of the data you show:

    $ whois -h rr.arin.net 199.43.0.0/24 | grep source
    source:         ARIN # Filtered

RIPE is developing something similar, where non-authoritative data will
be marked with "source: RIPE-NONAUTH" rather than "source: RIPE" to show
which objects came into existance because of the chain of trust from the
RIR data to the IRR data, and some didn't.

With an example from the ARIN IRR:

    job at vurt ~$ whois -h rr.arin.net -- "-B 192.0.2.0/24" | egrep "route:|source:"
    route:          192.0.2.0/24
    source:         ARIN
    route:          192.0.2.0/24
    source:         ARIN

192.0.2.0/24 is a Special Use IPv4 prefix (RFC 3330 / RFC 5735) and not
owned by either of the organisations that created a route object for it
in the ARIN IRR. It is crazy that there even are route objects for this
prefix.

In my opinion, IRR 'route:' objects covering prefixes like 192.0.2.0/24
should either be purged from the ARIN IRR - or should be clearly marked
by changing the "source: ARIN" to "source: ARIN-OLD" (or perhaps "source:
ARIN-NONAUTHORITATIVE-LEGACY-GARBAGE" ;-))

Kind regards,

Job