[ARIN-consult] [ARIN-Suggestions] Responses issued on five recent ACSP Suggestions

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Aug 14 09:30:02 EDT 2018

I would include preferred

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 4:58 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2018, at 3:26 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>

> I enthusiastically support the Routing POC concept, however, I have a
> couple question regarding the Routing POC, noting that it is also included
> in the IRR roadmap.
>
> https://www.arin.net/vault/resources/routing/2018_roadmap.html
>
> The report says, "This [Routing] POC will be restricted to only
> add/modify/delete routing related data."
>
> I would like to clarify if this is intended to include only IRR routing
> data or will RPKI access also be included for Routing POCs as suggest in
> ACSP Suggestion 2018.15?
>
> Furthermore, I note that "Origin AS" is effectively routing data as well.
> So will the Routing POC also be able to add/modify/delete this field as
> well?
>
> I very much appreciate ARIN Staff making IRR roadmap report available, and
> I'm excited to have ARIN begin delivering on the plan as soon as possible.
>

> David -
>
> With regards to your two questions above, what is your preference – would
> you prefer that the Routing POC to be able to modify RPKI and Origin AS
> data as well (or not) and why is that your preference?
>
> Thanks!
> /John

I'll start with the easy one Origin AS, I don't have a strong preference
but would probably include it. I probably would not make it a high
priority, especially if it proves difficult to accomplish. But, if it is
easy, it might be a quick win to show progress.

I think including RPKI under the Routing POC is important and should be a
priority.

One issue though, the primary purpose of the Routing POC is to be able to
delegate the maintenance tasks for routing information, possibly to a third
party, like your ISP if you are an end user. Also delegating the
maintenance tasks for RPKI seems quite useful. However, there is one issue
with RPKI that probably can't or at least shouldn't be delegated. Accepting
the risk for its use by the organization is probably not appropriate for
the Routing POC, especially if they are a third party, and should
probably be done by the Admin POC or the Technical POC. Leaving day-to-day
technical maintenance tasks for RPKI to the Routing POC.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952