[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Orphaned Organization (Org) and Point of Contact (POC) Records

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Aug 1 18:23:43 EDT 2018

In message <60c9cca3-109d-593c-5a8d-436452ed9b0b at arin.net>,
"ARIN-consult" <arin-consult-bounces at arin.net> wrote:

>The proposed procedure would result in the deletion and archival of all
>Orgs and POCs that have been orphaned for 2 or more years.

One small question and one small objection.

The question:  Why 2 years?  Why not 1?  (I think 1 would be better.)

The objection:

In general, I think that this is a fine idea for reasonable "housekeeping".
My only concern is with the -absolute- disapperance of data that may be
of historical and/or forensic value.

If ARIN is going to start disappearing abandoned ORGs and POCs out of the
data base...  which, standing by itself, is a perfectly reasonable thing
to do... then I would only ask that this historical information should
continue to made available via the WhoWas service, and that if necessary,
the WhoWas service should be enhanced to support arbitrary ARIN handles
as search keys.  (Perhaps that capability already exists with respect to
the WhoWas service?  I can't really remember just now.)