[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Expanding the Size of the ARIN Board of Trustees

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 6 14:40:33 EDT 2018

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 2:14 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> it is often up to the ARIN Board of Trustees to
> decide whether to explore these initiatives when they are at an early stage.

Mission creep.

> ARIN should add three more elected voting seats to the Board of Trustees,
> raising the current six (two elected per year) to nine (three elected per
> year). New Board seats are to be added to the Board in a phased manner – one
> per year in the 2018 thru 2020 elections as noted below

Still "no" for the same reasons expressed last year. The bigger the
board, the worse the paralysis at one end and groupthink at the other.

Optimal board sizes, in general, have been studied. A lot. The 7 you
have is already on the high edge of optimal. If 7 people can't get it
done, then either we've elected people who aren't willing to spend the
time, ARIN has strayed too far from the core mission or ARIN has added
too much paper-pushing overhead (too much "process") to the board's
work.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us