[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ACSP 2018.3

frnkblk at iname.com frnkblk at iname.com
Mon Apr 2 09:00:30 EDT 2018

There’s been some great discussion on this topic.  I’d like to suggest the following approach:

*	No auto-redirection at this time
*	But stop redirecting https://whois.arin.net to http://whois.arin.net/ui/, rather redirect them to https://whois.arin.net/ui. If they chose to go to the secure site, being redirected to the insecure site does not seem like a good idea.
*	Make sure that all links from ARIN’s other sites to whois.arin.net are referring to the HTTPS one (that may already be the case, but I don’t know)
*	Enable HSTS for whois.arin.net – if a web browser hits it intentionally then just keep doing it automatically.
*	Provide some subtle feedback (perhaps an extra line/bar at the top of the page) to those web browsing the HTTP version of whois.arin.net to alert them that they are searching in the clear and provide a link to the secure version.
*	Develop a long-term goal to migrate programmatic access to HTTPS

Frank