[ARIN-consult] Reminder: Consultation on Increasing the size of the ARIN Board of Trustees

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jun 9 14:50:56 EDT 2017

> > whomever it wants to meet that need.
>
> > I don’t know what could be “assured” to be “fairer” than that.
>

> It's called "the tyranny of the majority."
>
> Even weirder than that, although I couldn't find a breakdown of members by
> country, I wonder whether Canada is disproportionately represented: 3 of 6
> elected Board Members are Canadian.

Hi,

Not sure if it's Mike or Lee talking there, but on your way to that query
you made a classic ass-u-me. ARIN members by country? Members? Does ARIN
manage IP addresses in trust for the members? Why not the general
population of the region served? Or the Internet-connected device owners
within the region served? Or the ARIN registrants?

I'm here to tell you that the diversity among ARIN's membership is much
smaller than the diversity among ARIN registrants which in turn is much
smaller than the diversity among owners of Internet-connected devices.
Which diversity would you have the board reflect?

By the general population measure, Canada is grossly overrepresented on the
Board. They have nearly an order of magnitude more representation than they
should have.

The whole concept of diversity here is fraught with pitfalls. That's OK, if
we decide diversity is valuable we can hash it out. But we're talking about
expanding the board as a specific measure in support of a diversity we
haven't successfully defined. IMO that puts the cart so far ahead of the
horse that it can't even see the horse any more.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>