[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Transfer Fees Now Open

David R Huberman daveid at panix.com
Tue Sep 6 17:44:18 EDT 2016

Hello John,

Thank you for the reply.

If we accept the fundamental idea that ARIN should be charging on a cost
recovery basis, it seems fair that if ARIN staff are spending more time on
transfers, and 25% of transfer tickets are not having their costs covered,
that ARIN should change things around. So conceptually, I support the idea
being proposed.

But the real numbers are less persuasive than the concepts.  We're talking
a difference of just about $125,000.  Which is 6 tenths of a percent of
ARIN's budget.

I therefore OPPOSE this change, as the wrinkles it introduces into an
opaque and volatile IPv4 address market are scarier than the thought of
ARIN not recovering an extra $125,000 next year.

Thank you,
David