[ARIN-consult] [ARIN-Suggestions] New Suggestion - ACSP 2016.4 - Waiting List for 2 Byte ASNs

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 20:50:29 EDT 2016

If the demand for 2-byte ASNs is lower than the recovery rate of unused
ones, then it would seem more efficient to just have ARIN hand them out
(via waiting list) to people who claim a technical need for 2-byte instead
of 4-byte ASN.  If the demand exceeds the zero-effort supply, then 8.3
transfers will fill the gap, but if ARIN just hands out its recovered
2-byte ASNs to organizations who'd be fine with 4-byte, then we're
artificially constraining the supply of 2-byte ASNs, and forcing up the
price to the point where it is worth the time of buyers to contact people
who would otherwise give their 2-byte ASNs back to ARIN and try to get them
to transfer them instead.

I would like to see an estimate of the number of 2-byte and 4-byte ASNs
recovered and assigned in the last year, the number of organizations
requesting 2-byte ASNs vs. those happy with 4-byte, and the number of
2-byte and 4-byte ASNs transferred under 8.3.  Depending on those numbers,
I could either support a policy proposal to set up a 2-byte ASN request
process and waiting list, or I might decide it's not worth the trouble.

With regard to the policy vs. operational practice question: If we need
technical criteria for requesting 2-byte ASNs, then I think policy is
appropriate.  But if we can't agree on what those should be, or the numbers
are such that it doesn't look like we need to restrict who can get on the
2-byte waiting list, then I would say that letting ARIN staff run the
waiting list as an operational matter based on community consultation would
be a much quicker and lower-overhead way to do the right thing.

-Scott