[ARIN-consult] ARIN Community Consultation on the ICG RFP Response Process

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Oct 2 20:09:42 EDT 2014

On Oct 2, 2014, at 7:42 PM, Hannigan, Martin <marty at akamai.com> wrote:

> This is a trade association that ARIN claims represents its members.

To be clear, ARIN serves to improve the business conditions of
Internet industry as a whole via the administration of number
resources in the region and related activities.  Governance of
the organization is set by the membership, but the mission is
of greater scope than just the common business interests of
those who have ARIN membership.

This does not mean that the appropriate mailing list is a public
one or a member-only one, but simply a clarification regarding
ARIN's scope of mission and why many aspects of ARIN activities
are open to public rather than just member-only participation.

> I do believe -discuss is appropriate since the general public has plenty of outlets to participate in on their own. They can be easily pointed towards one.

There are a number of mailing lists for this purpose (such as
those hosted by ISOC, IETF, and ICANN.)  It is less clear how
input will be received from such forums.

> This issue has little to do with ARIN public policy. If we're going to pay for it and allow our names to be aggregated as "the commujity", we ought to have some privilege.

Acknowledged - the clear expression of a preference is helpful.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO