[ARIN-consult] number of member/non-member organizations

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Apr 10 05:57:48 EDT 2014

On Apr 9, 2014, at 4:09 PM, Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2014, at 12:34 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> As of December 2013, the total number of Org IDs with directly
>> registered IPv4 address blocks = 26,148
>> Of those:                         4,520 are ARIN members
>> Which means:                     21,628 are non-member organizations
>

> John, does ARIN have any flag for validated organizations?  Or at least ones which have signed a contract?  Based on personal experience and some attempts to retrieve orphan resources, I suspect there are a large number of dead or MIA organizations/persons in that list. I’ve been in contact with ARIN regarding at least 20-something resource holders where we were unable to fix incorrect data or otherwise establish appropriate chain of authority. These would show as duplicates for the organizations which are actively routing said resources today.

Jo -

  There is a last updated date field on both networks and organizations
  in the database, but a "validated" flag would be somewhat problematic
  (since a validated organization can become defunct at any time)

  It takes real effort by organizations to maintain accurate registry
  records, and there hasn't always been significant incentive to do so
  even for organizations that are simply changing contacts, let alone in
  the period when an organization is shutting its doors or similar exit.

  One of the benefits of an active transfer market is that it provides a
  tangible incentive for organizations to maintain accurate records, even
  to the point of facilitating the cleanup of registrations long past.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO