[ARIN-consult] discounting registration fees for IPv6 assignments

Michael Richardson mcr+arin at sandelman.ca
Wed Oct 31 16:01:50 EDT 2012

    Jo> On Oct 31, 2012, at 5:45 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
    >> (If people are worried about DFZ routing slots, then find a way to write
    >> olicy to discourage the piles of IPv4/24s that pollute the table)

    Jo> Impossible. For what it's worth, I could stop advertising large
    Jo> amounts of /24s if I could advertise the actual necessary space
    Jo> /27 or /26. But since /24 is the smallest routable space, that's
    Jo> what I route. Do you want to give me a /22 and have me waste
    Jo> even more space?

Well, a /27 occupies the same slot, so it saves nothing.

The piles of IPv4/24, I am talking about are all taken from /20s.
I observed this repeatedly when I tried to filter intelligently.
(Since then, router FIB ram has grown)

I know that there were a few analysis about this, either Renasys
or Geoff Houston.  I'm sorry, I don't have the pointer, but I'll keep
looking.

] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
	               then sign the petition.