[ARIN-consult] Fee Schedule Change Consultation

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 23:43:50 EDT 2012

On 10/25/12, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> question I'm asked: can it wait. The second question I'm asked: do we
> lose anything by waiting. The honest answers: it can and directly
> speaking, we don't.

Well, you could cite RFC6540, and remind that the internet standards
say you can't wait.

A $20 reg fee is ridiculously small,  compared to the human cost of
planning and deploying, in terms of  person hours,  and new training
for technical staff that need to understand the network.  But
'waiting' or trying to not spend the cash, does not make the IPv6
future go away.

By  waiting  and not at least pre planning IPv6  you have a risk of
increased amount of work that will have to be done in the future;
reexamination  and reconfigurations of hosts and networks deployed
without IPv6,  possible requirements to replace equipment,  unless
your  IPv4 network will stay the same size the whole time you wait.

So yeah, there is something quantifiable lost,  and  some significant
risks created
by  just choosing to wait.

Rather than try to balance them out at this point;  I do say,  I
believe  the IPv6 initial allocation, transfer fees and maintenance
should be much lower than IPv4 fees, rather than unified.

A zero-cost for the end user option should be offered to receive an
initial allocation of IPv6 resources any time IPv4 resources are being
transferred, requested, by an org with no IPv6 block,  and a  low-cost
option to  pay for an IPv6 allocation at the same time as IPv4
resource renewal.

The work required for ARIN to manage each block of IPv6 resources
should be much lower,  especially with  ARIN's  "ipv4 countdown plan"
and   requirement  for  increased amounts of  review during initial
allocations.

Not to mention the many services which are really only of interest for
IPv4 resource holders: such as the  ARIN STLS.

And of course the opportunity  to  promote using one large block of
IPv6  for new initiatives when possible,  over   multiple disparate
IPv4 blocks which will have to be requested or obtained at separate
times, as the usage need increases.

--
-JH