[ARIN-consult] Fee Schedule Change Consultation

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 25 22:25:51 EDT 2012

As I read it, the nutshell version is that

1. The very largest ISPs' fees (more than 1,000,000 IPv4 addresses)
nearly double and everybody else's major fees go down.

2. The end user annual fee for a small end user attempting to deploy
IPv6 triples from $100 to $300.

Over the years there have been occasional suggestions that the very
largest ISPs are getting an unreasonably good bargain. Under the new
plan, the smallest of end users still pays almost $2 per address while
the largest ISP pays less than 3 cents each. To the extent it shifts
the balance, it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Increasing the cost to deploy IPv6 seems counterproductive. Real bad policy.

Increasing the cost for end users to play around with large numbers of
discontiguous IPv4 blocks seems more or less consistent with ARIN's
secondary mission of supporting operator efforts to suppress the BGP
route count. I'd prefer to see it done in a way that's cost-neutral
for the end user with exactly one AS and exactly one IPv4 block.

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:
> Note: not a single one of the companies I worked with considered the ARIN
> registration fees onerous or balked about them. I am not certain that a fee
> reduction is necessary. I'd rather see ARIN spend the budget on improving
> the services.

Speaking with my end-user hat on, for IPv6 assignments, it isn't about
the amount, it's about the fact that there is an amount.

If I want to install IPv6 in my organization, I don't have to justify
that to my boss. If the network keeps running, the discretion for how
to spend staff hours is mine. I can make the decision to configure
IPv6 today with a very long-term focus.

On the other hand, if I want the organization to write a check to ARIN
for $20, I have to justify a purchase order. That purchase order will
be countersigned by six different people before it's paid. The first
question I'm asked: can it wait. The second question I'm asked: do we
lose anything by waiting. The honest answers: it can and directly
speaking, we don't.

In a small business, it's even simpler: "Boss, I want some money."
"What for?" "IPv6." "No."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004