[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Fee Schedule Change Consultation

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Nov 15 17:08:05 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2012, at 13:12 , William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

>> 2. Don't refuse to interact with a registrant on matters unrelated to
>> the legacy registration. Tell a legacy registrant he can't have IPv6
>> addresses unless he first signs over his IPv4 addresses and you make
>> that registrant's choice an easy one: no IPv6 this year.
>
> Agreed, but, I would say do not issue additional ASN or IPv4 resources
> without first resolving the fee and contract issue on the existing resources.

Unless there's a much better reason than "waah, those guys are still
getting the free ride we promised them 15 years ago," I'd say: let
sleeping giants lie. ARIN has important fights to win for us, against
governments who want to do asinine things with Internet management.
Why pick an extra fight with the legacy registrants?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004