[ARIN-consult] LRSA Information

paul vixie paul at redbarn.org
Wed Nov 14 23:44:40 EST 2012

On 11/14/2012 5:10 PM, David Farmer wrote:
> ... "why would someone enter an LRSA if it means paying ARIN"...
>
> I will provide an answer to this question, at least from the
> perspective of a large legacy entity.  The University of Minnesota has
> 5 /16 (class Bs) and other miscellaneous number resources, that are
> critical to the day to day operations of the University, which is a $3
> billion entity. From a risk management point of view it is very much
> benefits the University to bring its Internet number resources under a
> modern contract regime with clear rights and responsibilities for both
> parties.  The lack of a clear contract rights and responsibilities are
> problematic and tenuous for both sides not just ARIN.

that was also $dayjob's (ISC's) take on the matter, and we put all of
our legacy resources under LRSA as soon as that agreement became available.

of special note: signing the LRSA does not diminish one's right to
participate in the transfer market. anyone who is holding out against
signing the LRSA because 'they may want to sell some day' is misinformed.

paul