[ARIN-consult] LRSA Information

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Nov 14 12:10:49 EST 2012

On 11/14/12 07:06 , John Curran wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2012, at 10:48 PM, John Curran <jcurran at corp.arin.net> wrote:
>>
>> ARIN has consistently provided basic registry services for all resource
>> holders in the region, including legacy address block holders without
>> charge, and the proposed revision to the fee schedule would not not alter
>> this practice.
>
> I was asked privately by two folks, so figured it was best to respond to the
> list regarding "why would someone enter an LRSA if it means paying ARIN"...

I will provide an answer to this question, at least from the perspective
of a large legacy entity.  The University of Minnesota has 5 /16 (class
Bs) and other miscellaneous number resources, that are critical to the
day to day operations of the University, which is a $3 billion entity.
 From a risk management point of view it is very much benefits the
University to bring its Internet number resources under a modern
contract regime with clear rights and responsibilities for both parties.
  The lack of a clear contract rights and responsibilities are
problematic and tenuous for both sides not just ARIN.

Furthermore, as the registry services that we rely on are modernized
with technologies like RPKI and DNSSEC it is critically important to
have an explicit contract as a basis for the trust relationship
necessary to make these technologies work.

For at least a decade now network and Internet access have been equally
business critical for the University as electricity, water, heating and
cooling.  Especially with IPv4 run-out, it seems ill-advised for any
significant entity to have resources for a critical infrastructure such
as Internet Access to be dependent on little more than a hand-sake.

I hope that answers "why would someone enter an LRSA if it means paying
ARIN", because it is necessary and provides value to the resource user.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952