[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Fee Schedule Change Consultation

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Nov 14 10:59:47 EST 2012

On Nov 14, 2012, at 10:52 AM, Brian Johnson <bjohnson at drtel.com> wrote:

> Owen,
>
> I'm not sure what you really expect to happen here. Do we give away services to everyone so that they are the same as legacy holders... that doesn't work. Do we start charging legacy holders for their resources without an agreement from them... I can feel the lawyers prepping papers right now.
>
> I will note that my understanding is that legacy holders will need to sign some kind of (L)RSA to get v6 space. They will then need to justify their assignment (at least the IPv6 assignment) to get space. Possibly they would have to "back justify" their legacy space? Maybe this is a way we can limp along with V4 longer?

IPv6 number resources are issued by ARIN under a standard RSA, and
the agreement can be independent of any existing number resources.

> I think that I would like ARIN to avoid legal issues when possible. I'm not sure if ARIN counsel would want to chime in on sending bills to legacy space holders who have not signed an agreement with ARIN. This may help me in my processing of this topic.

Changing the handling of legacy resource holders is a valid topic
for the community to discuss, but let's do so either at meeting
or in response to a specific proposal submitted to the suggestion
process.  The current consultation on fee changes does not change
the present handling of legacy resource holders, so let's keep to
the merits of the proposed fee change in this discussion thread.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO