[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Fee Schedule Change Consultation

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 20:31:43 EST 2012

On 11/13/12, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

The Fee schedule the consultation is about doesn't say legacy holders
are not included -- so it's not a fee schedule question.

Legacy holder payment of the fees is really a separate matter.    If
legacy holders do pay fees,  then I see no reason for them to have a
separate fee schedule -- fees should be equal.

> We could keep them in whois and terminate their RDNS services, however.

It will break traceroutes involving their network by suppressing the
hostnames of their routers, and suppress server reverse lookups that
might be useful for diag or abuse reporting purposes.  BUT it won't
actually disrupt their use of the IP space, or stop them using the
IPs.       It may lead to proposals  to  remove RDNS responsibility
for legacy space from ARIN.

Terminating RDNS is no stronger a stick than terminating WHOIS.
The legacy holders don't necessarily care what ARIN puts in its database,
as they are  "well known" allocations;  that it's simply an indelible fact that
those organizations  operate those networks.

>From the perspective of those large networks, if ARIN were to remove entries
for active networks from their database;  it would simply mean that
ARIN is introducing  intentional omissions into the database,  and
seeking to obscure the unobscurable identity
of those networks.

--
-JH