[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Fee Schedule Change Consultation

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 13 17:29:05 EST 2012

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 13, 2012, at 1:45 PM, Brian Johnson <bjohnson at drtel.com> wrote:

> <SNIP>
>
>> Perhaps it would be worth while to consider as part of this fee restructuring:
>>
>> 1.    Removing the fee exemption for legacy holders.
>> and/or
>
> I'm not sure we can impose fees on legacy holders as they are not ARIN members and have no direct relationship with ARIN. They do have whois records that ARIN  maintains, but removing them to incentivize fee payment would be damaging to the rest of us.

We could keep them in whois and terminate their RDNS services, however.

We could, for example, possibly issue the addresses to brave (or desperate) souls willing to take on that risk. I wouldn't recommend this particular course of action, but, it is a course technically open to ARIN.

More importantly, I would prefer not to see ARIN start punishing those that signed the LRSA or RSA by subjecting them to increased fees while still giving those that did not a free ride as I think that clearly places the incentives in the very wrong place.

Owen