[ARIN-consult] Community Consultation - Bulk WHOIS AUP

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jul 28 15:23:18 EDT 2009

On Jul 28, 2009, at 10:35 AM, prescott at wcoil.com wrote:

> I have to say that at first glance I am against any proposal that
> would
> make bulk whois data easier to get.
> I have some questions I hope someone can answer:
> 1:  why/what prompted the request for this change?

An organization A became aware of the work done with WHOIS data
at organization B.  Org B indicated that they like to share the
analysis, but couldn't due to the Bulk WHOIS AUP.  ARIN was
contacted and I realized that our policy does indeed prevent
this sharing, and thanked both organizations for respecting
the policy as written and raising this issue.

> 2:  Why couldn't other organizations get permission/data directly from
> arin?

In the particular case that prompted this, ARIN doesn't hold the
derivative data; it's someone else's analysis.

> 3:  if ARIN has to be involved in the process either way, isn't it
> just
> creating extra work anyway?

The Bulk WHOIS AUP was designed to facilitate research; it seemed
that it was hindering in this case.

> I would greatly appreciate answers to these questions so I can
> better form
> a opinion.

Hopefully, my responses help fill in some of the necessary background.
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN