[consult] Call for Community Consultation - Software Repository

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Jan 18 06:08:31 EST 2008

Michael Smith <mksmith at adhost.com> writes:

>> 3. Should the repository only house collections that reflect ARIN's
>> mission?
>>
> I think so.  If not, where would it end?  Would ARIN become a FreeBSD
> mirror, or a CPAN mirror?  Not that I particularly mind either way,
> but I think the ARIN Membership through the Board and Advisory Council
> should limit the scope of the site to those things that pertain to:
>
> 1) ARIN-provided services
> 2) RIR-provided services
>
> Personally, I would opt for number 2 because a lot of the stuff I have
> to do transcends ARIN to the RIR's as a whole.

That's a very good point, and I'm completely on board with the notion
that, for instance, software that does interesting things with
complicated RPSL policies (which are found in RIPE-land and elsewhere
a lot more than in the ARIN component of the IRR, where people
generally just register an origin and call it a day) is in-scope.

                                        ---Rob