[consult] Call for Community Consultation - Software Repository

Michael Smith mksmith at adhost.com
Fri Jan 18 01:07:25 EST 2008

Hello All:

Comments in line.

On Jan 16, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Member Services wrote:

> ARIN received a suggestion (2008.1) that "ARIN shall maintain a
> software
> repository (with retrieval via anonymous FTP, HTTP, or other protocols
> in keeping with best current practices) for user-contributed schemas,
> software, and other tools for dealing with data published by ARIN."
>
> The complete suggestion can be viewed at:
> http://www.arin.net/acsp/suggestions/2008-1.html
>
> As a result, ARIN would like to solicit input to the following
> questions
> from the following community:
> 1. Should software in this repository be restricted only to
> contributions that are licensed to be in the public domain? If so,
> what
> license should be used (GNU/BSD/others)?

As long as the author provides consent directly or tacitly by
uploading the software themselves, that should be sufficient.  I don't
think ARIN needs to adhere to any one license.  However, a nicely
worded disclaimer about warranties or, more specifically, a lack
thereof, is probably advised.

> 2. Should the repository allow separate developers facilities to
> maintain code directly (tools like subversion) or be a static-read
> only
> repository?

I opt for static-read only because I think that a CVS repository steps
outside of ARIN's mission.  I like the idea of providing tools to the
ARIN community, but I don't think the ARIN membership should incur the
costs of maintaining a CVS repository for software.  Having a web page
that either links to outside sites or to a local ARIN site is
preferable to me.

> 3. Should the repository only house collections that reflect ARIN's
> mission?

I think so.  If not, where would it end?  Would ARIN become a FreeBSD
mirror, or a CPAN mirror?  Not that I particularly mind either way,
but I think the ARIN Membership through the Board and Advisory Council
should limit the scope of the site to those things that pertain to:

1) ARIN-provided services
2) RIR-provided services

Personally, I would opt for number 2 because a lot of the stuff I have
to do transcends ARIN to the RIR's as a whole.

Regards,

Mike Smith
mksmith at adhost.com