[consult] Additional background information

Heather Skanks heather.skanks at verizonbusiness.com
Fri Mar 16 23:29:56 EDT 2007

As for the limit, it seems that certain searches have the limit and others
do not.  For example, ">NET-65-192-0-0-1" to find the subdelegations we
have made from 65.192.0.0/11, returns 27,114 results .. all of them, every
single one.  Searching for "n UUnet" returns only 256 truncated results.

Since I'm the person who submitted the request, I'm happy to provide some
information on how we've been impacted.

There are some very large organizations, some of whom happen to be our
customers that have >256 resources.  To be more specific >256 netblocks,
with no way to further narrow down the search.   In evaluating their
requests for address space, we look at the space they already hold.  When
the number of resources exceeds 256 we have no way to obtain the
additional data on our own.  There is no way to page through the results,
or even know how many results there are.  Most of the time, the customer
doesn't even know how many netblocks they have.

With regard to how often this happens.. twice this week, and numerous
times in the past.  I think it's more of an issue for isp's, who often
have to look at what space an organization has, and for large
organizations who are trying to figure out what space is theirs.

At some point, I think I was told I could not obtain the info through a
hostmaster request, because it was not about my company.   However I
haven't had any problems requesting the information from ARIN recently.
At the time I submitted the request to the consultation and suggestion
process, to alter or remove the response limit, I was unaware that the
full query must still be performed in order to be able to page through
results.  Having learned that, I became rather resigned to having to
request the info from ARIN each time I need it.  So, I asked that they
place a more prominent banner at the top of results page, so that folks
will be aware at the outset that they are not viewing the full list of
results.

That said, I would like to see the limit raised or a way found to remove
it.  It's a little thing, it probably doesn't affect a significant number
of people, but it would make life a little easier, the day run a little
smoother.  I won't have to wait a few hours or a day on a response from
ARIN in order to finish whatever task I am on at the moment.

  Maybe they could put in one of those are-you-a-bot-verification boxes,
atleast for the website, so the results are obtainable in some way.  As
for a limit, I don't know what the right number is.  Someone suggested
looking at the number of records returned, when people submit requests to
hostmaster.  The one I most recently requested, had 333 netblocks.  500 or
1,000 seems reasonable.

--Heather

   Heather Skanks
   800.900.0241