[arin-announce] Reminder: Changes to Whois-RWS and RDAP Scheduled for 12 February 2020

ARIN info at arin.net
Mon Jan 13 16:05:04 EST 2020

As we originally announced on 15 October 2019, there will be a change
made to ARIN’s Whois-RWS and RDAP services on 12 February 2020. This
change may impact the way you interface programmatically with ARIN to
query and retrieve information from these services.

ARIN will no longer be supporting TLS 1.0 for Whois-RWS and RDAP
services. There are well-known security issues with this protocol. We
will continue to support TLS 1.1 and 1.2. Please make sure your client
implementation will support TLS 1.1 or 1.2. Read
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate/
for further details.

Because these changes will be implemented in about 30 days, we recommend
that you review your clients that interface with the Whois-RWS and RDAP
services, and make any required configuration or code changes in advance
of this change. Both TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 are available now. We encourage
you to make these changes so you will have no operational impact when we
disable the vulnerable transport protocols.

So that you can plan your upgrades accordingly, we would also like to
inform you of future planned events for this service. We will be adding
TLS 1.3 support to Whois-RWS and RDAP in the near future. We also
anticipate announcing end-of-service support for TLS 1.1, with another
corresponding 120-day warning notice.

Regards,

Mark Kosters
Chief Technology Officer