[arin-announce] ARIN Celebrates 20th Anniversary

ARIN info at arin.net
Fri Dec 22 10:22:49 EST 2017

Today marks a very significant day for ARIN: it’s our 20th anniversary.

ARIN originated through more than a year of discussions involving the
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), RIPE NCC, APNIC, the National Science Foundation
(NSF), and the Federal Networking Council (FNC) concerning a proposal to
manage IP number assignments apart from the registration of Internet
domain names. Consistent with the RIPE NCC and APNIC models,
representatives of the Internet community suggested a non-profit
organization as an appropriate body to manage IP address space for
assigned territories. With that, ARIN was born and began operation with
just a handful of employees on 22 December 1997.

As we look back on the years we’ve spent serving the ARIN region, we are
taking the time to remember some of the important milestones we’ve
reached over the years:

20 March 1998 – first ARIN Members Meeting is held
3 August 1999 – first IPv6 block is issued
15 October 2004 – ARIN NRPM is published
4 October 2008 – ARIN Online is launched
17 August 2010 – first ARIN on the Road event
3 February 2011 – ARIN receives its last /8 from IANA IPv4 Free Pool
24 September 2015 – ARIN’s free IPv4 address pool reaches zero
Q3 2016 – 50% of ARIN members have IPv6

To view even more milestones plus memorable quotes from the ARIN
community and staff, visit:

https://teamarin.net/education/celebrating-20th-anniversary/

There is no doubt that we could have come this far without the diligence
and dedication of the ARIN community, both stakeholders and staff alike.
We know that we are powered by participation and we wouldn’t be where we
are today without the Internet community at-large.

 From all of us here at ARIN, we wish to express our sincere gratitude
for all of the support we’ve received over the past two decades. We look
forward to the many opportunities that lie ahead of us to connect,
engage, and forge a path toward a stronger and more secure Internet.

Regards,

John Curran
President and CEO